Fans attending University of Kentucky sporting events will have the opportunity to assist God's Pantry, a local food bank, through the program, “Together We Can,” coordinated by UK Athletics and the Southeastern Conference.
The three UK home events being targeted this year are:
- Sept. 16, 2011 – Volleyball game vs. Auburn at Memorial Coliseum
- Sept. 23, 2011 – Men's Soccer game vs. Evansville at the UK Soccer Complex
- Sept. 24, 2011 – Football game vs. Florida at Commonwealth Stadium
Food collection bins will be located at all three entrances at Memorial Coliseum and also at the main entrance of the UK Soccer Complex on game days. Student-athlete volunteers will work each entrance and be able to answer any questions that fans may have. Monetary donations will gladly be accepted, as well. Furthermore, fans who donate five or more cans or non-perishable food items will receive free admission into the volleyball or soccer matches.
Walter Cornett, of Glendale, Kentucky, is the owner and operator of Walter's Wildcat World. He founded WildcatWorld.com in 1998 making it one of the oldest Kentucky basketball fan sites in operation today.
On This Day In UK Basketball History
- On December 10, 1951, Bob Burrow collected 34 rebounds against Temple for the most rebounds ever in a single game by a Kentucky player.
- On December 10, 1977, as top-ranked UK is defeating Kansas on “Adolph Rupp Night” in Allen Field House on Naismith Drive in Lawrence, Kansas, Rupp dies. Thousands would participate in the funeral procession in Lexington.
- On December 10, 2011, Indiana's Christian Watford hits a 3-pointer at the buzzer in Assembly Hall to stun No. 1 Kentucky. It's only the second time Indiana had beaten a top-ranked team at Assembly Hall.