Connect with us

George Montgomery

George Montgomery
George Montgomery
Hometown (Last School)
Liberty, KY
October 11, 1881

George Montgomery was born George Carter Montgomery in Adair County, Kentucky on October 11, 1881, to Nannie McFerren Epperson and Joel Quitman Montgomery.  His father was a prominent minister of the Christian Church in Adair and Casey County. His family moved to Liberty, Kentucky in 1894.  He left home to attend Kentucky University, which is now Transylvania University, in late January 1899.  He played football, basketball, and baseball at Kentucky University.

Montgomery, nicknamed Rusty, was a member of Kentucky’s first official basketball team in 1902-03.  He also played left end on the varsity football team at Kentucky in 1904 and 1905.  He played centerfield and right field on Kentucky’s baseball team from 1903-1906.  Montgomery was captain of the baseball team in 1905.   He was also a member of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, Tau Beta Pi (Engineering Honor Society), Lamp and Cross, and was a captain in the Cadet Battalion Band where he played trombone and cornet.  He also played trombone and cornet in the college orchestra.

He completed his senior thesis on “A Study of Magnetic and Central Energy Telephone Systems.”  He graduated from Kentucky University, which is now Transylvania University, in 1903 with a Bachelor of Science degree.  He graduated from the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Kentucky (A&M), which is now the University of Kentucky, in June of 1906 with a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering.

He married Hazel Thornton in St. Louis, Missouri, on April 26, 1910.

His brother, Charles Francis Montgomery, was the Lincoln County county attorney from 1906 to 1910. In November, 1913, he was elected to the State Senate from the Eighteenth Senatorial District, comprising Boyle, Lincoln, Garrard, and Casey counties. He became president of the Commercial Bank of Liberty in September 1920.  His sister, Pearl, died in a tragic accident in Bowling Green, Kentucky, in July of 1904. She was only 20.

He became a mechanical engineer following graduation and began working for the American Creosoting Company of Hugo, Oklahoma.  He went on to become the Chicago representative of the Long-Bell Lumber Company of Kansas City.  While living in Oregon, he died suddenly in his vehicle in late January of 1951.  He was buried in Glenwood Cemetery in Liberty, Kentucky on February 4, 1951.

More in