- J White Guyn
- Hometown (Last School)
- Lexington, KY (High)
- 1902-03, 1903-04
- April 23, 1883
Legal Name: Joel White Guyn
Date of Death: April 15, 1953
Member of Kentucky’s first basketball team. Member of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity. Former Sergeant, University of Kentucky Military Dept. Was captain of the university’s football team in 1904. He was coach from 1906 through 1908.
J. White Guyn was one of 4 children born to Joel White Guyn and Kate Davenport Guyn. His brothers were Isaac Howard, John Edward, and Leslie Lee.
Married Lena Watson of Woodford County in 1906.
In 1910, Guyn was the city of Lexington’s assistant engineer. By 1915, he was the city engineer, a post he held for 31 years. In 1934, he was working as the Lexington director of public works. Served as consulting engineer on paving of all streets in Mt. Sterling, Ravenna and Olive Hill and the paving of many streets in Frankfort and Paris. Supervised improvements on Elmendorf Farm, Idle Hour Farm and Calumet Farm owned respectively by J E Widener, Col. E R Bradley, and M W Wright. In February 1949, Guyn was named the assistant supervising engineer of the medical and hospital services of the Kentucky state department of health. He died at a hospital on April 15, 1953.