Go here for boxscore.
UK MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
KENTUCKY vs. CARLETON UNIVERSITY
BIG BLUE BAHAMAS | BAHA MAR
AUG. 13, 2022
FINAL SCORE: Kentucky 118, Carleton University 56
- This was Kentucky’s third exhibition game of the Big Blue Bahamas foreign exhibition tour. UK will play one additional game during the tour.
- The Wildcats return to the Baha Mar Grand Ballroom court on Sunday vs. The Bahamas National Team. That game will tip at Noon on the SEC Network.
- UK improved to 12-1 in the Bahamas foreign tours. The Wildcats went 5-1 in their first foreign tour in the Bahamas in 2014 and 4-0 in their second stint in 2018. 9-1
- Kentucky is 143-12 all-time in exhibition games and has won 22 straight. UK is 40-1 in exhibition contests under head coach John Calipari.
- Kentucky opened with a different lineup for the third consecutive game. Cason Wallace, CJ Fredrick, Chris Livingston, Jacob Toppin and Lance Ware were the first five.
- A steal and dunk by Wallace at the 18:46 mark was the game’s first bucket.
- Oscar Tshiebwe checked in as UK’s first sub at 17:14.
- Carleton knotted the score at four, but Fredrick converted a traditional three-point play on the ensuing possession. It sparked a 19-2 run to give Kentucky a 23-6 lead. During the run, UK made each of its seven field-goal attempts.
- Antonio Reeves hit a pair of 3-pointers and had a dunk during the offensive run.
- Paced by a pair of 3s from Toppin, Kentucky pushed its lead to 35-10 with 7:57 remaining behind an 8-0 run.
- Kentucky exploded for 55 points in the opening half behind a 54.8% field-goal percentage (23-42) and exceptional defense. UK forced Carleton into 16 first-half turnovers and limited the Ravens to just 25.8% shooting.
- UK had 25 points off turnovers and 13 fastbreak points.
- Reeves, Toppin and Sahvir Wheeler all reached double-digit scoring. Toppin and Wheeler both had 12, while Reeves scored 10. Eight Wildcats scored in the opening half.
- Kentucky also dominated on the boards behind a 25-17 margin, with Tshiebwe corralling seven.
- Adou Thiero charted three steals, with Wallace and Tshiebwe also picking up a pair.
- Wheeler, Wallace, Chris Livingston, Toppin and Tshiebwe started the second half.
- Kentucky began the second frame in much of the same fashion. The Cats scored the first seven points and forced three early turnovers.
- UK utilized a 12-0 spurt over 2:37 of time to move the lead to 54 points at 77-23 with 14:32 to play.
- Kentucky started 11 of 14 from the floor (78.6%), 3 of 3 from behind the arc, 3 of 3 at the line and scored 29 points in the first 8:10 of the half.
- Toppin’s jumper with 6:20 to play pushed UK over the century mark for a 101-39 lead.
- Kentucky drained four straight 3-pointers and moved the score to 113-44, its largest lead of the game, at the final media timeout with 4:10 remaining.
- Kentucky forced Carleton into 28 turnovers which led to 45 points off of turnovers for the Cats.
- UK is averaging 15.2 steals per game and 7.3 blocks in the three games in The Bahamas.
- UK generated 22 steals with Wallace and Thiero both swiping five.
- The Cats also shot well. UK was 48 of 82 (58.5%) from the field, 15-30 (50.0%) from long range and 7-8 (87.5%) from the charity stripe.
- In three games in The Bahamas, Kentucky is shooting 56.3% from the field, 40.2% from 3-point range and 85.4% at the line.
- Kentucky made 15 3-pointers, with Toppin and Reeves both connecting on five apiece.
- Kentucky dominated in the paint, winning that category 42-30.
- The Cats were also better on the boards, owning a 42-31 advantage.
- UK is plus-20.7 on the boards over the three games this week.
- Jacob Toppin led the way with 27 points, six assists, two steals and a blocked shot.
- He made 11 of 14 from the field and sank five 3-pointers.
- The point total, made field goals, 3-pointers and assists would have all been career highs had this been a regular-season game.
- He is averaging a team-high 15.7 points per game.
- Antonio Reeves scored 23 points and added three rebounds, two assists and a steal.
- He made five 3-pointers and has a team-high 10 over the three games.
- Sahvir Wheeler posted 17 points, a game-high-tying six assists and he registered a blocked shot.
- Wheeler is shooting 60.0% from the field and has 20 assists over the three games played this week.
- Cason Wallace registered 15 points, five steals, four assists and three rebounds in an all-around effort.
- He made three 3-pointers, the most he’s drained in a game this week.
- He is averaging 12.3 points per game this week and is shooting 45.5% from long range.
- Oscar Tshiebwe had eight points and 13 rebounds, while adding a pair of assists and three steals.
- Adou Thiero matched Wallace with five steals. He also contributed five points and two boards.