Go here for boxscore.
KENTUCKY MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
EXACTECH ARENA AT THE STEPHEN O’CONNELL CENTER | GAINESVILLE, FL
FEB. 22, 2023
Final Score: Kentucky 82, Florida 74
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky has won three in a row and is now 19-9 overall, 10-5 in the SEC.
- Florida is now 14-14 overall and 7-8 in the league.
- Kentucky leads the overall series 109-41 and has won four in a row vs. the Gators.
- UK leads 40-26 in games played in Gainesville and has won the last five there.
- Next for the Wildcats: Kentucky begins a two-game homestand Saturday at 4 p.m. vs. Auburn. The game will be televised by CBS.
- Kentucky clinched a winning road record in SEC games this season and is now 5-3 in league play away from home. UK ends the regular season March 4 at Arkansas.
- Kentucky led by as many as 15 points. The Wildcats are 326-13 (96.2%) under John Calipari when leading by at least 10 points at some point during the game.
- UK dominated the rebounding 40-21, and a 13-2 edge in offensive boards led to a 15-0 tally in second-chance points.
- UK is 19-4 this season when winning the rebounding, including 12-0 when winning the rebounding with a double-figure margin.
- The plus-19 rebounding margin was the second largest in an SEC road game in the Calipari era. A plus-22 rebounding margin at LSU Feb. 6, 2010 is the best for a Calipari-coached Wildcat team.
- Kentucky shot 53.2% from the field, 33 of 62. The Wildcats are 8-1 this season when shooting at least 50%.
- Kentucky got double-doubles from Jacob Toppin and Chris Livingston, first UK pair to do since Toppin and Oscar Tshiebwe in the win vs. Georgia on January 17.
- Kentucky did a great job taking advantage of turnovers, turning 10 Florida miscues into 21 points. Kentucky won despite Florida making 50% from the field, 26 of 52. This marked the third time this season (also Florida A&M and Mississippi State) that Kentucky won despite the opponent shooting at least 50%.
- Chris Livingston had 10 points and a career-high 15 rebounds.
- He had the biggest play of the game with his putback-and-one with 50 seconds left that blunted a Florida rally and increased the lead to 77-72.
- It’s the second-consecutive double-double for the current SEC Freshman of the Week.
- The last Wildcat with consecutive double-doubles was Tshiebwe vs. Georgia and Mississippi State on Feb. 11 and 15.
- Jacob Toppin had 19 points and 11 rebounds.
- It is his sixth double-double of the season, including both games vs. Florida.
- It is his 11th-straight game with double-figure scoring.
- Oscar Tshiebwe made 12 of 13 shots en route to a game-high 25 points.
- His field-goal percentage of 92.3% is fourth-highest in one game in Kentucky history (minimum eight attempts)
- Tshiebwe is one of eight players nationally this season to have a game of 12 of 13 or better from the field.
- This was his third 25-point game of the season, 10th of his career.
- Became the 61st player in Kentucky history to score 1,000 points as a Wildcat. He now has 1,010 points in his two seasons at UK.
- With four rebounds today, he totals 844 in only 60 UK games and moved past Sam Bowie (843) for eighth place in UK history.
- Antonio Reeves tossed in 16 points, his 21st double-figure game of the season, along with a season-high four assists.
Coach John Calipari
- This was Calipari’s 183rd SEC regular-season win, moving past legendary Tennessee coach Ray Mears for fifth place in league history.
- Calipari is 24-9 vs. Florida, with all but one win coming at Kentucky.
- Calipari has an 829-250 all-time on-court record and is 384-110 in 14 seasons at UK.
- UK is 315-62 (83.6%) against unranked competition under Calipari.
In the First Half
- Kentucky opened with a starting lineup of Cason Wallace, Antonio Reeves, Chris Livingston, Jacob Toppin and Oscar Tshiebwe for the fourth game in a row.
- Adou Thiero, Daimion Collins and Lance Ware were the first subs at the 11:14 mark.
- Kentucky built a 30-15 lead by the media timeout at the 7:55 mark.
- Florida finished the half with a 22-6 surge to take a 38-37 lead at the break.
- Tshiebwe scored 15 points in the first half, reaching an even 1,000 points for his UK career.
- UK is now 3-9 this season when trailing at halftime.
In the Second Half
- Kentucky opened the second half with the starting lineup, which went on to play the entire half without substitution.
- Tshiebwe, Reeves and Toppin combined for the first 14 points as UK regained a 50-43 lead and Florida called timeout at the 15:13 mark.
- The Gators responded with an 8-0 run to retake the lead.
- Kentucky came back with a 7-0 spurt to make it 57-51; although the Wildcats never trailed again, the win wasn’t assured until the final minute.
- Florida rallied to tie at 59, but baskets by Livingston, Reeves, Wallace and Tshiebwe restored an eight-point cushion.
- Florida got back within 67-63, but foul shots by Reeves and a Toppin 3-pointer coaxed a Gators’ timeout at 4:06.
- UK pushed the run to 7-0, and a 74-63 lead, on a dunk by Toppin at the 3:43 mark.
- Florida came right back with its own 9-0 run to make it 74-72 with a minute to go.
- After UK missed a 3-pointer with 50 seconds left, Livingston crashed the backboard for a huge follow-and-one to make it 77-72.
- Three free throws by Toppin and two by Wallace preserved the verdict.