KENTUCKY MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
RUPP ARENA AT CENTRAL BANK CENTER | LEXINGTON, KY
DEC. 21, 2022
Final Score: No. 19/16 Kentucky 88, Florida A&M 68
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is now 8-3 on the season and Florida A&M is 2-8.
- Kentucky leads the series 2-0.
- Next for UK: the Wildcats have holiday break, then return to action Wed. Dec. 28 by opening the Southeastern Conference schedule at Missouri. Game time is 7 p.m. ET (6 p.m. CT in Columbia) and it will be televised on the SEC Network.
- Kentucky dominated the rebounding, 37-18, leading to a 22-4 edge in second-chance points.
- Kentucky shot 52.5% from the field, 31 of 59, the fourth time this season the Wildcats have made at least half their shots.
- Kentucky made a season-high 13 3-pointers, shooting 56.5 percent from long range. The number ties for the fifth-most in a game in the Calipari era.
- Kentucky led by as many as 21 points. UK is 317-13 (96.1%) under Calipari when leading by as many as 10 points at any time in the contest.
- Combining the beginning of each half, the UK starting lineup outscored FAMU 34-16 before substitutions were made.
- Freshman Cason Wallace was the top Cat, notching a season-high 27 points, including five 3-pointers. He also tied his season best with nine assists and four steals.
- He is the fifth Wildcat to hit the 20-point mark this season.
- Oscar Tshiebwe collected 14 points and a game-high eight rebounds.
- CJ Fredrick accounted for 12 points by making 4-of-6 on 3-pointers.
- Antonio Reeves had 10 points, his ninth double-figure game of the season.
- He has made at least one 3-pointer in each game this season.
Coach John Calipari
- Calipari is 1-0 vs. Florida A&M.
- Calipari has an 818-244 all-time on-court record and a 373-104 mark in his 14th season at UK.
- UK is 306-58 (84.1%) against unranked competition under Calipari.
- UK extended its home win streak to 26 games, dating back to the 2020-21 season, and (as this was written) is the longest active home win streak in the Southeastern Conference and tied for the third-longest in the nation.
- Kentucky is 640-77 (89.3%) in the 47-year history of Rupp Arena.
- Kentucky is 213-17 (92.6%) in Rupp Arena under Calipari.
In the First Half
- Kentucky started the combination of Sahvir Wheeler, Cason Wallace, Chris Livingston, Lance Ware and Oscar Tshiebwe for the first time this season.
- CJ Fredrick, Antonio Reeves and Jacob Toppin were UK’s first subs at the 13:48 mark.
- Florida A&M got the opening tip and the first basket but Kentucky responded with an 18-0 spurt, the Wildcats’ biggest run of the season.
- The Rattlers recoiled within nine points at 36-27 and went to halftime trailing 42-32.
- UK had balanced scoring and Fredrick led the way with nine points on three 3-pointers.
In the Second Half
- Kentucky opened the second stanza with the starting lineup.
- Wallace scored UK’s first seven points of the half, pushing the lead to 49-34.
- UK led by as many as 21 points at 69-48 with 11:13 to go. However, FAMU put together a 14-0 run, narrowing the count to 69-62 at the 6:00 mark.
- Tshiebwe broke the run by muscling in a basket from mid-lane, later added five foul shots, and Wallace and Reeves scored five each down the stretch as the Wildcats claimed an 88-68 win.