UK MEN'S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
LSU at KENTUCKY
RUPP ARENA at CENTRAL BANK CENTER | LEXINGTON, KY
FEB. 23, 2022
Final Score: No. 6/3 Kentucky 71, RV/NR LSU 66
Team Records, Series Notes, Etc.
- Kentucky is 23-5 overall, 12-3 in the Southeastern Conference. LSU is 19-9 overall, 7-8 in SEC.
- With the win tonight, Kentucky clinches a double-bye in the SEC Tournament.
- UK leads the series, 92-28, including 46-6 in games played in Lexington.
- The teams split the regular-season series as LSU won 66-60 on Jan. 4 in Baton Rouge.
- Next for UK: the Wildcats play at No. 18/18 Arkansas on Saturday. Game time is 2 p.m. ET (1 p.m. CT in Fayetteville) and the game will be televised by CBS.
- This was the third time this season that UK has rallied from a double-digit deficit to win the game, also 13-point deficits at Texas A&M and Saturday vs. Alabama.
- Kentucky has won 18 in a row in Rupp Arena, including 17-0 this season.
- Kentucky limited LSU to 36.8% from the floor. UK is 221-24 (90.2%) under John Calipari when keeping the opponent at 40% or below, including 12-0 this season.
- Kentucky won the rebounding 36-24, and is 20-2 this season when winning the boardwork.
- Kentucky led by as many as 15 points.
- UK is 308-13 (96.0%) under Calipari when leading by at least 10 points at any time in the contest.
- Missing Sahvir Wheeler and TyTy Washington Jr. for the second-straight game because of injury, Kentucky has been at full strength for only 12 complete games this season.
- Oscar Tshiebwe assembled 17 points, 16 rebounds and blocked three shots.
- It is his 10th-straight double-double, first Wildcat to do that since Jim Andrews had 10 consecutive double-doubles in the 1972-73 season.
- It is his 22nd double-double of the season, ranking second in the nation in that category.
- It is tied with Dan Issel (1968-69) for the third most in a single season in UK history. Issel owns the record with 25 such instances in 1969-70.
- The nation's leading rebounder has 15 straight games with double-figure rebounds and grabbed double-figure boards in all but two games this season.
- Playing the full 40 minutes, Kellan Grady tallied 13 points and had all three of UK's assists.
- Over the last 19 games, he is averaging 13.9 points per game.
- Missing all five 3-point attempts, he ended a streak of making a 3-pointer in 21 straight games.
- He also ended a string of making at least two 3-pointers in nine straight games.
- He now ranks No. 127 in Division I history with 2,348 career points.
- Davion Mintz had 13 points and is averaging 11.4 points over the last seven, with UK going 6-1 during that stretch.
- Mintz had two steals and has led the team in that category in two straight games.
- Playing 15 minutes, Bryce Hopkins had a career-high 13 points, with 11 coming in the 15-2 spurt that gave UK the lead for good.
- UK is 15-0 this season when Hopkins scores.
Coach John Calipari
- Calipari is now 362-98 at UK.
- UK is 295-56 against Associated Press unranked competition under Calipari.
- Calipari has an 807-238 all-time on-court record.
- He moved into sole possession of 12th-place on the Division I collegiate coaching on-court victories. He passed Eddie Sutton who finished his career with 806.
- Calipari has tallied a 379-119 all-time record within conference play as a head coach and owns a 171-53 record since joining the SEC.
- Calipari is 14-4 vs. LSU.
In the First Half
- The starting lineup was Davion Mintz, Kellan Grady, Jacob Toppin, Keion Brooks Jr. and Oscar Tshiebwe for the second game in a row.
- Lance Ware was the first Kentucky substitution at the 15:22 mark, third time this season that he has been first off of the bench.
- UK scored on its first three possessions for a 6-3 lead, but three early 3-pointers put LSU up 11-6.
- LSU's Xavier Pinson scored 14 early points, staking the Tigers to a 22-15 lead.
- LSU lengthened the advantage to 27-16 as the Tigers made five of their first seven 3-point shots.
- LSU went to halftime ahead 31-23, UK's fewest points in the first half this season and first time this season UK trailed at halftime at home.
- The previous low was 30 points on three occasions, including the first game vs. LSU.
- Tshiebwe led Kentucky in the first half with 12 points and seven rebounds.
- UK is now 2-3 this season when trailing at intermission.
In the Second Half
- Kentucky began the second half with the starting lineup.
- Mintz made UK's first 3-pointer at 19:07.
- Trailing 36-28, UK put together an 11-0 run – highlighted by nine points from Bryce Hopkins – as UK regained the lead at 39-36.
- UK lengthened the spurt to 19-4, including two more from Hopkins, for a 47-40 lead.
- For a 17-minute stretch – from 7:00 in the first half through the first 10 minutes of the second half – LSU was held to 13 points as UK turned a 27-19 deficit into a 47-40 lead.
- LSU got within four points at 49-45, but UK eventually stretched the lead to 15 points at 65-50 with 3:17 left.
- LSU made a furious rally to get within 68-64, and got the ball with 34 seconds remaining, before UK held on for the 71-66 win.
- Hopkins had all 13 points in the second half and Mintz added 11 in the second stanza.
Walter Cornett, of Glendale, Kentucky, is the owner and operator of Walter's Wildcat World. He founded WildcatWorld.com in 1998 making it one of the oldest Kentucky basketball fan sites in operation today.
On This Day In UK Basketball History
- On December 10, 1951, Bob Burrow collected 34 rebounds against Temple for the most rebounds ever in a single game by a Kentucky player.
- On December 10, 1977, as top-ranked UK is defeating Kansas on “Adolph Rupp Night” in Allen Field House on Naismith Drive in Lawrence, Kansas, Rupp dies. Thousands would participate in the funeral procession in Lexington.
- On December 10, 2011, Indiana's Christian Watford hits a 3-pointer at the buzzer in Assembly Hall to stun No. 1 Kentucky. It's only the second time Indiana had beaten a top-ranked team at Assembly Hall.