UK MEN'S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
SOUTHEASTERN CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINALS, KENTUCKY vs. TENNESSEE
AMALIE ARENA | TAMPA, FLA.
MARCH 12, 2022
Final Score: No. 9/11 Tennessee 69, No. 5 Kentucky 62
Team Records, Series Notes, Etc.
- Kentucky is 26-7 overall, ending a three-game win streak.
- Tennessee is 25-7 overall and has won six in a row.
- UK leads the series, 158-77, including 8-5 at neutral sites.
- UK leads 12-6 in games played in the SEC Tournament, including 5-3 in semifinal games.
- The teams split during the regular season, UK winning 107-79 in Lexington and Tennessee 76-63 in Knoxville.
- Next for Kentucky: the Wildcats return home and await the NCAA Tournament Selection Show on Sunday at 6 p.m.
Kentucky in the SEC Tournament
- Kentucky is now 135-28 all-time in the SEC Tournament, including 42-4 in semifinal games.
- Kentucky won the rebounding 43-38, leading to a 10-3 advantage in second-chance points.
- UK has a 23-4 record this season when leading the rebounding.
- Kentucky shot 34.4 percent from the field, the second-lowest percentage of the season.
- UK – which entered the game leading the SEC in 3-point percentage at 35.8% — missed its first 11 3-pointers before Keion Brooks connected with 6:53 left in the game.
- UK finished at 10 percent from long range (2 of 20), its lowest percentage of the season.
- Keion Brooks Jr. led the Wildcats with 19 points, most since his 20-point outing vs. Vanderbilt on Feb. 2. It is his 17th double-figure scoring game of the season.
- TyTy Washington Jr. had 17 points and six rebounds while also leading UK with four assists and three steals.
- It is his 20th double-figure scoring game of the season.
- Oscar Tshiebwe had 13 points, 11 rebounds and blocked two shots but battled foul trouble, playing only 25 minutes before fouling out with 3:37 remaining.
- It is his 15th-straight double-double, most for a Wildcat since at least 1967-68 (complete single-game rebounding information available since that season).
- It is his 27th double-double of the season, breaking the school record of 26 by Dan Issel in 1969-70.
- He has scored double figures in 15 straight games, best at UK since Immanuel Quickley had a 20-game stretch in the 2019-20 season.
- The nation's leading rebounder has 20 straight games with double-figure rebounds, longest streak in one season since Kevin Marfo of Quinnipiac had a 20-game stretch in 2019-20. Tshiebwe has grabbed double-figure boards in all but two games this season.
- Has 993 career points, needing only seven to reach 1,000.
- Has 499 rebounds this season, needs one to be the third player in Kentucky history to gather 500 caroms in a season.
- Sahvir Wheeler had 10 points, six rebounds and three assists.
Coach John Calipari
- Calipari is now 365-100 at UK.
- UK is 67-44 vs. Associated Press ranked competition under Calipari,
- When both teams are ranked, Calipari is 89-64 all-time, including 58-36 at UK.
- When both teams are ranked in the top 10, he is 27-21 all-time, including 16-14 at UK.
- Calipari has an 810-240 all-time on-court record.
- Calipari is 24-6 in the SEC Tournament.
- Calipari is 19-15 vs. Tennessee.
In the First Half
- The starting lineup was Sahvir Wheeler, TyTy Washington Jr., Kellan Grady, Keion Brooks Jr. and Oscar Tshiebwe for the 25th time this season. The Wildcats are 19-6 with this lineup.
- Jacob Toppin was the first Kentucky substitution at the 15:51 mark, team-best 16th time this season he has been first off the bench.
- Trailing 4-2, Tennessee had an 8-0 spurt for a 10-4 advantage and led the rest of the game.
- Tennessee took a 33-22 lead into halftime, UK's fewest points in a half this season.
- Brooks led UK in the first half with eight points. Tshiebwe played only eight minutes because of foul trouble and had three points and two rebounds in the opening stanza.
- UK is now 2-5 this season when trailing at intermission.
In the Second Half
- Kentucky began the second half with the starting lineup.
- Kentucky got within six points at 39-33 but Tennessee stretched it out to 51-37.
- Tennessee still led 63-51 with 2:40 left before Kentucky rallied. The Wildcats cut it to 65-62 with 1:31 left but got no closer as Tennessee made free throws and hung on to win.
- Washington and Brooks led UK's second-half scoring with 11 points each.
Walter Cornett, of Glendale, Kentucky, is the owner and operator of Walter's Wildcat World. He founded WildcatWorld.com in 1998 making it one of the oldest Kentucky basketball fan sites in operation today.